Tired of the traditional Ghanaian basket designs, Coretta Owusu, the founder of Design Dua, set out to create woven objects with an innovative touch, while making an impact on her country. She developed Fair Market Day, a program for her weavers that has implemented fixed pricing guidelines for all products (at a 50% or more increase in pay). The program also provides every artisan access to training and proper materials. Owusu and her team aim to create an environment that allows weavers to enjoy the fruits of their labor by offering benefits common for traditional employees. Bilia means newborn in FraFra, a language attributed to the FraFra people of Ghana, the originators of this basket. Made from natural elephant grass and dyes, the Moses basket bassinet is handcrafted; each takes several days to weave from start to finish. It comes with a fitted organic-cotton-filled mattress that is factory steam cleaned and prepared for use, as well as factory dried to avoid the possibility of molding.
- This product is suitable only for babies up to 20 pounds (9 kgs) who cannot sit up unaided, roll over, or push up on their hands and knees.
- Materials: grass, dyes, leather, foam, kapok, cotton
- Safety: Moses baskets are for stationary naptime use. Although very sturdy, this is not a carrying device, and babies must be carried separately from the basket when being moved. This basket can be placed in a Moses basket stand suited to the basket's dimensions. It should not be placed on slippery surfaces. The foam mattress is made to a maximum of 1.5" thick, based on federal standard in the US and UK.
- Basket measures approximately 29" L x 16" W x 10" H
- Basket can be wiped or rinsed under water. If the basket is misshaped: (1) Run under cold water. (2) Allow to sit for 5 minutes. (3) Gently reshape the basket. (4) Allow to fully dry in an airy place; due to natural nature of basket, it can mold if left wet